The beta series
The word beta means widely varying things to different people. In this case, it means: there will be no new features before the next “stable” release, only bug fixes. (The difference can be subtle, and some bug fixes can have features as side effects, but if you start off by thinking “wouldn’t it be nice if…”, your idea is probably not a bug fix.)
The stable, release candidates, and probably some later betas will omit support for various debug/testing/cheat features, including Debug.oxp support, Time Acceleration Factor and the various secret hotkeys while paused. Once the stable release is out, there will be a special “OXP developer” release with these features. The game without these features is somewhat smaller and faster, and the barrier to cheating (at least in certain ways) is higher.
Changes since test release 1.74.2
- Smarter, more aggressive NPCs – for example, they are now able to shoot you when you cunningly stand still.
- New master weapon lock key (default: _) disables primary and secondary weapons, and turrets.
- Simplified autopilot controls: C (or
key_autopilot) attempts to autopilot-dock with the current target station – your target if any, otherwise a station within scanner range, favouring the main station. Shift-C (now
key_autopilot_target) is the same, except it will fast-dock if permitted. Shift-D is no longer used.
- New “primable equipment” concept: equipment can produce scripted effects without having to be a missile. New keys: Shift-N and Control-Shift-N cycle through the list of primable equipment, and N activates the currently selected equipment. (Key config keys:
- Target-sensitive reticle mode is now more accurate.
- Fuel price now depends on the mass of your ship.
- Jumping between overlapping systems now uses 0.1 LY worth of fuel.
- A hyperspace misjump now takes 3/4 of the time of a successful jump, rather than the full time. (It has to be at least 3/4 to avoid exploits. See this thread for more information.)
- The trumble offer “mission” now repeats as intended, in case you accidentally missed it.
- Escape pods now aim for the nearest friendly station/carrier.
- The escape pod key/joystick button must now be pressed twice in rapid succession to eject (except in strict mode, or if the
escape-pod-activation-immediatehidden setting is set).
- Comm log messages are now spoken. (Feature request #4970)
- “Lollipop flashes” eliminated. (Bug #17215)
- Hyperspace countdown messages don’t repeat themselves.
- You can no longer sneak into the contract screen through the back door in secondary stations.
- Secondary weapons are now accounted for properly when evaluating your ship. (Bug #17450)
- Fixes to joystick configuration (Bug #17482, Bug #17490)
- The usual indescribable yet important “minor tweaks and fixes”.
- New icon by seventh.
- The Dread Sound Bug of Doom is fixed. (Bug #17214)
- Joystick support.
- Automatic update support (Sparkle).
- The Oolite Screen Shots folder can now be moved from the desktop and Oolite will continue to use it (as long as it isn’t renamed or moved to the trash).
- Due to a bug in GNUstep, older versions cannot read credit balances of more than 429496729.5 credits correctly. 1.75 writes saved games in a way that avoids this problem (even when loaded with old test releases). The Windows version can also read larger credit quantities in old saved games.