One of the things you can't really do in Oolite is exploration. All the systems are known and heavily populated, with their own stations. You can fly around and see things, but that's about it.
So, with the new scenario support, I'm working on an exploration-based OXP, and a playable prototype is now ready.
To try it you will need:
- An Oolite 1.83 nightly build (there are a couple of core bug fixes and similar since 1.82 which are essential to this)
- The Exploration OXZ
- The Loader OXZ
(because of how scenarios work in Oolite, scenarios which partially override the core game rather than adding to it need a separate loader OXP)
I won't be putting these in the manager yet, so you'll have to download them manually if you want them. One major reason for this is that until 1.0 (which might be a while away yet) the shape of the galaxy will change as more things get added and this affects the generation algorithm, so you'll often need to start again after a new release.
Let me know what you think.
There are currently various things you can do:
- you can fit exploration equipment to your ship
- you can hyperspace jump to new systems
- you can discover planets by flying near them
- you can use gravitational sensors to measure masses
- you can use spectroscopic sensors to scan stars, planets and asteroids for various things. Scanning asteroids requires a prospecting laser to be fitted
- you can use a sampling laser to break bits off asteroids and a collection bay to bring them back
There's more planned, as well as more reasons to discover the various system objects in the first place.
Documentation of all the equipment and gameplay changes is now on the [wiki]SOTL Exploration[/wiki] wiki page.
0.1: unreleased, hyperspace changes only
0.2: first public release, added gravity scanner, stars, planets
0.3: added spectroscopic scanner, asteroids, prospecting laser
0.4: added sampling laser, sample collection bay
As a bonus feature, you can also get Altmap
, which is a collection - not necessarily a particularly coherent one - of various pieces of code written to test 1.82's new features while they were being developed, as well as a few other bits of prototype feature. Again, the Loader OXP is needed to start a game in it. Includes:
- 2048 long-form planetary descriptions
- complex ship customisation
- NPC torus drive
- alternative economy and trade good set
- various other proof-of-concept and prototypes code