Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 pm 
Poor
Poor

I own a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick, throttle and MFG Crosswind rudder paddles. These are registered as three separate joysticks using 3 separate USB ports.

Oolite registers only 2 sticks at the same time in the joystick configuration options, so I have to make a choice between only using the stick and throttle, or the stick and rudder paddles.

Is it possible to have Oolite detect and make use of all 3 sticks instead of only 2 sticks?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:22 pm 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

What OS are you on? If on Windows, I could prepare a test executable with 4 sticks set as maximum rather than the current 2 for you to test.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:08 pm 
Poor
Poor

I'm using Manjaro Linux. Unfortunately I have no Windows, but maybe I can test using Wine?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:16 pm 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

I'd prefer not testing trhough Wine because I am not sure what kind of compatibiility layers it throws at us; any problem that might be encountered could be due to a code problem or a Wine problem.

If on Linux, you can build from source. Just go to this line in the code and change the 2 to a 4. Expect to encounter issues in the joystick setup screen. It's mostly those issues that will require further discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 pm 
Poor
Poor

I'm not used to compiling, but here's my attempt. I didn't change any lines yet, just git clone, update and make. The normal "make" command didn't work, I got the message "GNUmakefile:438: /objc.make: No such file or directory". Using "make -f Makefile" and "make -f Makefile OBJCFLAGS=-fobjc-exceptions" each time from the clean source had the same result.

I've read the README.md, checked all required libraries and used these commands:

git clone https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite
(in oolite directory) git submodule update --init
make -f Makefile OBJCFLAGS=-fobjc-exceptions

It started compiling, but then it stopped after these last couple of lines:

c++ -o js -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wcast-align -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wno-variadic-macros -Werror=return-type -pedantic -Wno-long-long -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread -pipe -DDEBUG -D_DEBUG -DTRACING -g js.o jsworkers.o -lpthread -Wl,-rpath-link,/bin -Wl,-rpath-link,/usr/local/lib -L../dist/bin -L../dist/lib -L/usr/lib -lplds4 -lplc4 -lnspr4 -lpthread -ldl ../editline/libeditline.a ../libjs_static.a -ldl
/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/config/nsinstall -R -m 755 js ../dist/bin
/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/config/nsinstall -R -m 755 js ..
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/shell'
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug'
make tools
make[3]: Entering directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug'
make[4]: Entering directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/config'
make[4]: Nothing to be done for 'tools'.
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/config'
make[4]: Entering directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/editline'
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/editline'
make[4]: Entering directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/shell'
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/shell'
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug'
if test -d ./dist/bin ; then touch ./dist/bin/.purgecaches ; fi
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite/deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug'
touch deps/mozilla/js/src/build-debug/build_stamp
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite'
make -f GNUmakefile debug=yes strip=no
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite'
GNUmakefile:438: /objc.make: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target '/objc.make'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/charlesbc/git/oolite'
make: *** [Makefile:63: debug] Error 2

Checks at the beginning:
https://pastebin.com/CS24yju4

I hope this is enough information. Can you tell me if I missed something?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:34 am 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Regarding the objc.make problem, please check github issue #281, which describes a similar situation and its solution. This is as far as I can help, since I do not maintain the Linux port, but I am sure someone more experienced with Linux will jump in if the problem persists and assist further.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 pm 
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).
@charlesbc
The good news is that I will have a binary made for you (64bit, right?) with the change proposed by another_commander.
The catch is that I cannot deliver it to you earlier than sometime tomorrow.

In the meantime keep having a blast trying to build it from source on your own. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:59 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Quote:
Regarding the objc.make problem, please check github issue #281, which describes a similar situation and its solution.
Another quick work around the issue could be to run (source to the shell) the GNUstep.sh shell script that brings in environment variables required by the framework. E.g. for a locally compiled GNUstep you'd have (don't forget the dot blank in front of the fully qualified name of the script):
Code:
. /usr/local/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:55 pm 
Poor
Poor

Quote:
Another quick work around the issue could be to run (source to the shell) the GNUstep.sh shell script that brings in environment variables required by the framework. E.g. for a locally compiled GNUstep you'd have (don't forget the dot blank in front of the fully qualified name of the script):
Code:
. /usr/local/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
Thank you! That did the trick. Along with switching to 64-bit Lubuntu 17.10, because I couldn't figure out the Manjaro package names. I compiled without changes first to see if it would. It worked with version 1.87.
Quote:
If on Linux, you can build from source. Just go to this line in the code and change the 2 to a 4. Expect to encounter issues in the joystick setup screen. It's mostly those issues that will require further discussion.
I did a clean git clone, made this change and compiled again. The joystick configuration menu only shows 2 detected sticks, but I'm actually able to assign roll, pitch and jaw to all three sticks. A hidden feature, but it works! Awesome! Thank you so much everyone! Will this feature be available in the next version?

I'm really happy with this feature. There's one more thing I'd like to mention. My MFG Crosswind has independent left and right brake axis. So if I want to assign roll to the brakes, I can only assign it to one pedal. Is it possible to have the option to assign an axis to "roll left" and "roll right" as an second alternative to a single "roll" axis?