I like the shorter laser ranges in exchange to keep the original scanner. OXP lasers will looks like extended ranges, for freighters the mass limits in LaserCannons will work well.
I needed to shrink them anyway to balance some ships being smaller but I was forgeting that scanner only needed to be shrunk to match the ship speeds (related of course but no necessarily the same).
VariableMasslock is already near to "max range *0.66" just use target mass also. For a fix limit simply remove the mass variable from the formula in line 45 in variablemasslock.js.
Good to know, thanks!
For scanner range changes, it's also reasonably simple, to use the "ship.scannerRange" rather than a hard-coded value of 25600.
There's a whole bunch of scanner related stuff (for non-player ships at least) around docking that was proving to be a PITA.
Here's what I've done in terms of ship rescaling:
Nice time to find a derelict Python
The cobra is at default size, the python at 200%
Looks reasonable to me, certainly more interesting.
Meanwhile station is at 200% also (to accommodate those larger freighters).
The Moray looks small because (like the cobra) its size remains unchanged but that isn't true for all ships...
A mighty Boa Class Cruiser now actually looks mighty.
Less so, a reduced Mamba (at 66%).
Meanwhile, the station is less obvious than before but not too difficult to find.
Station at 200%, planet (Ensoreus, a small one) at 660%.
But from another angle, a little less obvious.
Well, it's up there somewhere...
Of course, with all these greater distances, the torus drive is going to need some beef.
Tweaking may be needed in a number of areas but this experiment should stand up to such adjustments very well.
- There's some cosmetics such as sun distance and witchpoint to planet distance that can be played with.
- Planetary masslock is quite low to encourage zooming around to the station.
- Combat is a little close up and personal (laser ranges must be shrunk at least as much as the smallest ships else they will appear smaller than ever in combat), but both these values can be adjuted if necessary.
- Encounter rates can be adjusted with lane width.
- Sunskimming was tested so that a fast ship (Cobra Mk III), sans injectors and heat shielding, could just about escape with a full tank from a fairly large star (Isinor).
- Pirates seem a little more unforgiving at short range in 1,86 but non-player ship accuracy could be adjusted if necessary.
Now I need to remember how to use github...
"With our thoughts, we make the world
- - - Game too slow for you? Masslock Compensators
- - - Trouble getting out of trouble? Indestructible Injectors