Quote of the week!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

User avatar
RockDoctor
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by RockDoctor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Cody wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm
<sobs>
There's an un-dented bit of wall next to me, for beating the head against. It's granite, not brick, but it'll do the job better. Unless slow oblivion is your desire.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well more fun.
"I'm just stepping out of the airlock for a breath of fresh vacuum. I may be gone some time."

User avatar
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:55 pm
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).
Contact:

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Getafix » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 am

RockDoctor wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:09 pm
Cody wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm
<sobs>
There's an un-dented bit of wall next to me, for beating the head against. It's granite, not brick, but it'll do the job better. Unless slow oblivion is your desire.
It is so much refreshing and fills me with optimism to see that there is always someone in this community to lend a helping hand to a fellow Commander in despair! :) :D :lol:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]

User avatar
RockDoctor
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by RockDoctor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 am

Getafix wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 am
It is so much refreshing and fills me with optimism to see that there is always someone in this community to lend a helping hand to a fellow Commander in despair! :) :D :lol:
(Comedian) Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do X
(Straight Man, playing a Doctor) Then don't do X! Next!

Sorry. I spent too long at uni with medical students who found it hard when they killed first patients on the wards. Most of them got past it.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well more fun.
"I'm just stepping out of the airlock for a breath of fresh vacuum. I may be gone some time."

User avatar
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin
Posts: 6202
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Carter's Snort

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Disembodied » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:31 pm

kakistocracy
NOUN
1. Government by the least suitable or competent citizens of a state.
1.1 A state or society governed by its least suitable or competent citizens.

Origin
Early 19th century: from Greek kakistos ‘worst’ + -cracy.

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13552
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Cody » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:05 pm

That just about sums it up! Such a fine word deserves music!

User avatar
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin
Posts: 6202
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Carter's Snort

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Disembodied » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Astronomers searching for the building blocks of life in a giant dust cloud at the heart of the Milky Way have concluded that it would taste vaguely of raspberries.

User avatar
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin
Posts: 6202
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Carter's Snort

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Disembodied » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Never forget that we, as a species, made our glorious debut onto the galactic stage by sending unsolicited nudes, a mix tape, and directions back to our place.

User avatar
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin
Posts: 6202
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Carter's Snort

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Disembodied » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:05 pm

I was at HMP Pentonville last week. They've now got patrol dogs who are barking, which helps deter drones.

User avatar
RockDoctor
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by RockDoctor » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Disembodied wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:05 pm
I was at HMP Pentonville last week. They've now got patrol dogs who are barking, which helps deter drones.
Come on, name the guilty one!
OK, I googled it. It wasn't any old idiot, but it was the Secretary of Justice at the time. Step up to the stocks, Liz Truss, and take the rotten tomato of ridicule and the limp lettuce of laughter. Clearly an idiot of the highest order.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well more fun.
"I'm just stepping out of the airlock for a breath of fresh vacuum. I may be gone some time."

User avatar
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin
Posts: 6202
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Carter's Snort

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Disembodied » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:01 pm

RockDoctor wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:35 pm
Come on, name the guilty one!
OK, I googled it. It wasn't any old idiot, but it was the Secretary of Justice at the time. Step up to the stocks, Liz Truss, and take the rotten tomato of ridicule and the limp lettuce of laughter. Clearly an idiot of the highest order.
Yes, it just makes you brim with confidence that this really is a government who could totally use technology to solve the Irish border.

User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 13552
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Cody » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Re FRBs...
"It just seems completely inconceivable that there could be that many different alien civilisations all deciding to produce the same kind of signal in the same way - that just seems highly improbable."
Hmm... what was it Pratchett said about million-to-one chances?

User avatar
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Brisbane,Australia

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by spud42 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Please elucidate?
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
42

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 am

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by another_commander » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

I think it was something about the 1% chance having a probability of 99% to occur or similar?

User avatar
RockDoctor
Deadly
Deadly
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by RockDoctor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 pm

spud42 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:32 pm
Please elucidate?
One of the DiscWorld novels had a recurring theme that million-to-one chances happen all the time, by the force of Narrative Plausibility, so if you can adjust your odds from, say, 99 : 1 to 1,000,000 : 1, then success will naturally follow.
On the Disc, this seems perfectly plausible.

It was a "Guards" thread novel, but I forget which one.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well more fun.
"I'm just stepping out of the airlock for a breath of fresh vacuum. I may be gone some time."

User avatar
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin
Posts: 6202
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Carter's Snort

Re: Quote of the week!

Post by Disembodied » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 am

The Duke's a hazard

Post Reply