Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Redspear » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:45 pm

hijong park wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm
Hi, I'm Hijong Park who is having a hard time to enjoy Oolite. I like space and spaceships, so I want to like oolite, but simply can't. everything feels tedious and frustrating...
Hi Hijong Park.

I may have some good news for you: if you don't know it already there are likely oxps that can reduce both the tedium and difficulty significantly.

For example if the game is too hard, try phkb's population control mod. It's still being tested I think but it makes the 'safe' systems much safer and is great for getting started in the game - stick to the safe systems until you can afford a few upgrades and it should really help.

As for tedium, a personal bugbear of mine is the traffic masslocks that can take quite a long time to navigate through, and so I made the masslock compensator mod to require the player to spend less time escaping uneventful masslocks (and Norby has done similar with his [EliteWiki] VariableMasslock oxp).

There are other oxps that make things simpler and/or easier (e.g. docking). Or, if there isn't an appropriate oxp then someone might even be inspired to write one for you.

In any case, thanks for posting and welcome.
"With our thoughts, we make the world" :-) - - - Game too slow for you? Masslock Compensators - - - Trouble getting out of trouble? Indestructible Injectors

iGregory
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by iGregory » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Hello Commanders.

I have recently been getting back into this game. I forgot how truly fantastic it is. I'm really enjoying it.

I was wondering, though...

I used to do some coding (C++, C#, etc) for work and there are some mods that I would like to see. So, I was thinking rather than just wait for it, do something about it...

So, does anybody have any suggestions of where to start? Is there a good 'hello world' type of guide for modding this game?

Thanks.

Greg

Nite Owl
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Nite Owl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Welcome aboard Commander.

As for your journey to the Dark Side the best place to start is with the Oolite wiki. There are lots of pages there on how to create your own OXZs. The best place to start though is HERE. Once you have the basics down and want to move on to the even Darker Side of things with JavaScript then you can head HERE. Any other needed info beyond that is easily found from the two pages referenced above. Spend a bunch of time studying what others have already done and it should not take you long to get into the swing of things. My starting frame of reference coding wise was much less than yours. It did not take me long to figure things out, although tweaking the work of others is still more my speed as opposed to creating OXZs from scratch.

Fly Safe and Dock Straight Commander.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon