Retro, Commander …

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Retro, Commander …

Post by Disembodied » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:58 am

Erstwhile forum member-turned-author Drew Wagar takes a tour of Elite through the ages, loading up all the previous versions of the game right back to the original. See the original BBC Elite from 1984; Frontier: Elite 2; Frontier: First Encounters; and of course some of the notable fan-made versions, including Oolite.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/547833763

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Retro, Commander …

Post by Griff » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks for posting about this Disembodied it's always great hearing Drew talk about Elite, those 'First Encounters' games looked a lot better than i remembered at the time, maybe they just run a lot faster emulated on modern computers or something. I hadn't realised that they'd programed lighting bouncing off planets and space stations onto the nearby ships - that's pretty amazing, i think at the time i thought that that was just glitchy graphics :D

Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Retro, Commander …

Post by Commander_X » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:21 pm

Hah, old dinosaurs up, and alive!

Drew, DaddyHoggy, and they also mentioned Selezen, but didn't see his name in the chat.
I guess we can now be sure, if there ever was any doubt, that Drew betrayed Oolite for E:D :twisted: Quite candid to see him not recalling most "elementary" keys, and the fact that Oolite actually has yaw (by default mapped on "," and "." -- for keyboarders this is a first "must" override).