Oolite Bulletins

For information and discussion about Oolite.
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1289 290 291 292 293
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

clue.... n-dimensional space/time

or simply

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Quote:
clue.... n-dimensional space/time
Oh, hang on - aren't they the dimensions that Heinlein used when he started to bolt together Stranger, Time Enough, and various others into his Pandimensional Narrative Solipsism sticking-plaster universe. I seem to remember a scene where John Carter, Deja Thoris, A.N.Other were escaping the Bad Boys, and he explained the new additions to the steering wheels of his car full of gyroscopes and orthogonal actuators.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:27 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

just like some of Heinlein's stories, thats close enough...lol
from The Number of the Beast. wherein Dr Jake Burroughs explains 6 dimensional space time . escape the BlackHats discover that all worlds and universes are myth . Visits Oz, Lilliput eventually find Barsoom. finally tie it into the Lazarus Long stories.

critics didnt like it much , might be what he did to them at the end of the book......... dont care i liked it. i think they took it too seriously.

Over to you Sir...

or simply

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:07 pm 
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Quote:
... escape the BlackHats...
Were they the ones with knees which bent the wrong way?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

two knees, 1 bent normal 1 bent backwards... same for elbows. used splints to stop the backwards ones moving...

just to clarify what was implied.. 2 joints per limb.. knees, elbows.

or simply

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:33 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

OK.
FTL interstellar travel is theoretically possible ... but every time you send a crew off, they disappear correctly, but never reappear. So you do it the hard way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:20 am 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

not sure i get your question?

or simply

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:27 pm 
Deadly
Deadly

Quote:
This SF universe comprises two linked books which I'm specifically thinking about, but I believe a number of other universes/ authors have dabbled with this universe/ FTL (faster than light) mechanism. As with most interesting FTLs, it has it's limitations. When testing the design for the FTL, your test ship, crew, etc disappear according to plan ... but never come back.
On the one hand, your universe's physics appear to allow FTL. But on the second hand, your FTL doesn't actually work. So on the third hand, you travel slower than FTL because you don't seem to have a choice.

Name the universe/ books.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:35 pm 
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Quote:
Quote:
This SF universe comprises two linked books which I'm specifically thinking about, but I believe a number of other universes/ authors have dabbled with this universe/ FTL (faster than light) mechanism. As with most interesting FTLs, it has it's limitations. When testing the design for the FTL, your test ship, crew, etc disappear according to plan ... but never come back.
On the one hand, your universe's physics appear to allow FTL. But on the second hand, your FTL doesn't actually work. So on the third hand, you travel slower than FTL because you don't seem to have a choice.

Name the universe/ books.
Is it a book (forget the title/author except that I think it might be Poul Anderson) where the apparent FTL drive actually works at lightspeed, so the first expedition (which visits dozens of worlds over a span of several thousand light years) think they've been gone for months but actually come back several thousand years later? But I remember this as later explorers discovering the truth and setting up a relatively local interstellar society, to which the first explorers eventually return.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1289 290 291 292 293