HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Lost in space
Contact:

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by Smivs »

ICON, we've probably all been a bit idiotic sometimes, so don't feel bad about it.
On a serious note it is a good idea to read things though, specially things like the readmes that come with OXPs, and of course the info on the Wiki is no use if you don't read it or ignore it.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
User avatar
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Posts: 14500
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Corke's Drift
Contact:

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by Cody »

Hi ICON... what is your native screen resolution, and are you using any system eye-candy i.e. System Redux?
Who was it that set up a system, a supposedly democratic system
Where you end up always voting for the lesser of two evils?
User avatar
Commander McLane
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 9520
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:08 am
Location: a Hacker Outpost in a moderately remote area
Contact:

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by Commander McLane »

ICON wrote:Sorry for being an Idiot Mr.Mclane and thanks for the answer. :!:
And sorry for the bluntness. The other guys will confirm that I'm a bit on the grumpy side sometimes. :roll:
User avatar
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:07 am
Location: Western Australia
Contact:

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by Wildeblood »

ICON wrote:And what is with the Stars in the Background, is there a way to get more of them?
ICON, the stars, nebulas and sky glow are controlled with a file called "planetinfo.plist". Download the OXP called "lights down" for an example. You can edit it to have more or fewer stars, and darker or brighter sky glow.
User avatar
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: A GH shop, near witchpoint to Oresrati in Galaxy 8

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by Okti »

Commander McLane wrote:
ICON wrote:Sorry for being an Idiot Mr.Mclane and thanks for the answer. :!:
And sorry for the bluntness. The other guys will confirm that I'm a bit on the grumpy side sometimes. :roll:
We are supposed to be in the friendliest board in the other side Riedquat, so I believe before posting a reply, we must think twice. Better not to post a sarcastic reply at the first place, than say sorry later.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
User avatar
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

:shock: There are at least 4 long term members here and 1 calls(indirectly) a person an idiot that is a) new, less than 2 days ago. b) has admitted to having a difficulty with english. c) His own post's title says "HUD Problem!Hope you can Help" and what happens? A different longterm member confirms that yes, this person is an idiot(idiotic) and should read better. :shock: The guy(ICON) has already said he has a problem with english. WTF??? And then another longterm member that just recently chastised another new member for calling one of my many many(admittedly so) oddball ideas "lame" just sits by and does nothing and says nothing about all this. What is with that?? :?

ICON, I offer my most sincere and heartfelt apology on behalf of this entire board. :oops: Everyone seeing this will get a very very bad impression of this board because of this exchange. If this board is not about helping each other out no matter what then please tell me and everyone else out there as guests not to bother joining or asking a question.

This board should be a fun and useful exchange of ideas for everyone to benefit and contribute what we can. If not I don't want any part of it. EVERYONE makes mistakes but this is truly disgusting. :x

Everyone please know this. I MAKE MISTAKES. I'M NOT PERFECT. I NEED HELP. I HAVE LOTS TO LEARN. I HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO HELP OTHERS IF I'M ABLE. I WANT OOLITE TO SUCCEED.

If you all have the humility to believe the same thing about yourselves then this kind of thing won't happen again.

This rant is over good-bye! :evil:

And good for you Okti for saying something. I think I need a beer now.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.


CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by DaddyHoggy »

CommonSenseOTB wrote::shock: There are at least 4 long term members here and 1 calls(indirectly) a person an idiot that is a) new, less than 2 days ago. b) has admitted to having a difficulty with english. c) His own post's title says "HUD Problem!Hope you can Help" and what happens? A different longterm member confirms that yes, this person is an idiot(idiotic) and should read better. :shock: The guy(ICON) has already said he has a problem with english. WTF??? And then another longterm member that just recently chastised another new member for calling one of my many many(admittedly so) oddball ideas "lame" just sits by and does nothing and says nothing about all this. What is with that?? :?

ICON, I offer my most sincere and heartfelt apology on behalf of this entire board. :oops: Everyone seeing this will get a very very bad impression of this board because of this exchange. If this board is not about helping each other out no matter what then please tell me and everyone else out there as guests not to bother joining or asking a question.

This board should be a fun and useful exchange of ideas for everyone to benefit and contribute what we can. If not I don't want any part of it. EVERYONE makes mistakes but this is truly disgusting. :x

Everyone please know this. I MAKE MISTAKES. I'M NOT PERFECT. I NEED HELP. I HAVE LOTS TO LEARN. I HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO HELP OTHERS IF I'M ABLE. I WANT OOLITE TO SUCCEED.

If you all have the humility to believe the same thing about yourselves then this kind of thing won't happen again.

This rant is over good-bye! :evil:

And good for you Okti for saying something. I think I need a beer now.
That would involve me living on the forum - 24/7 scanning every thread - even ones I no longer have any interest in because I confessed several posts ago that I couldn't help.

I chastised wildeblood for calling an idea lame, because I happened to be on the board/thread when that post was made and could react to it. I happened to stumble back into this thread because it has had a lot of recent activity and I decided to see if ICONs problems had been resolved.

Given, that 1) Cmdr McLane has already apologised for a posting he has admitted he shouldn't have made and 2) that several other members have already stepped up to the plate I'm not sure, short of inventing a time machine, to go back in time and not go out to celebrate my wedding anniversary, I can do.

Odd that while pulling somebody else up about saying something hurtful, you make an unvalidated accusation against me that I find hurtful and unfair (did you see any postings from me during the period after 1pm on the 17/6/11 UK time until 9am on 18/6/11? No? Funny that...)

One unfortunate posting, quickly retracted amongst the hundred thousand plus postings made on this forum, an unfriendly board does not make. Especially as so many members immediately stepped in to apologise on behalf of the forum.

This is the best forum on the 'net, without a doubt.

But I would ask you to listen to your own words and consider the effect your own words have on others, completely innocent of your accusations.

:(
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
User avatar
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: Shropshire, UK

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by CaptKev »

Okay lets get this thread back on track of helping ICON, I'm sure nobody meant any offence.

ICON if you let me know what screen resolution you are using for Oolite I'll try to create you a modified version.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
User avatar
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DH, "What is with that" is hardly an accusation. You have explained your absence to the satisfaction of everyone here and a person can hardly be expected to know about your private anniversary plans unless you say something. Congratulations on your anniversary. I hope you had a wonderful time.

On the other hand you could have left it at that but instead you included a lot of rubbish and nonsense in your post to try and make me feel bad and deflect the real issues. I won't have that.

1-mclane did NOT admit that he shouldn't have made the comment. He stated"And sorry for the bluntness. The other guys will confirm that I'm a bit on the grumpy side sometimes." This means that he was sorry for not being as tactful in the way he put that he thought(indirectly)ICON is an idiot.

2- "several other members have already stepped up to the plate" Not true. Only Okti suggested "We are supposed to be in the friendliest board in the other side Riedquat, so I believe before posting a reply, we must think twice. Better not to post a sarcastic reply at the first place, than say sorry later." followed by myself.

3- "One unfortunate posting, quickly retracted amongst the hundred thousand plus postings made on this forum, an unfriendly board does not make. Especially as so many members immediately stepped in to apologise on behalf of the forum." This is actually a pattern of behaviour that goes back years. And again only Okti and then myself stepped in to apologize.

4- "But I would ask you to listen to your own words and consider the effect your own words have on others, completely innocent of your accusations." I did and so did Okti. Again "What is with this" is hardly an accusation but is a definate question as to your absence and I have accepted your explanation of this as I'm sure so has everyone else.

I can only assume that you agree(hopefully) that official representatives of the board(those with titles) should be held to a high(higher)standard as what they say is officially the view of the board. Anyone reading anything from the official representation of the board will automatically assume that a large percentage feel this way. It is assumed. Title holding representatives are like ambassadors and we will all be judged by THIER behaviour. Many guests will refuse to join the circus here and a lot of potential contributions will not be submitted for all of us to enjoy. Additionally, some members will participate less and even not return as a result of this kind thing that does happen on a regular basis. It has to be cleaned up and addressed. ICON deserves better.

CaptKev, I was already nearly done this post when you posted. Excuse me. And yes let's get on with helping ICON if he still needs or wants any help.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.


CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
User avatar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin
Posts: 8408
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Lost in space
Contact:

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by Smivs »

Reading through this thread has saddened me.
ICON, if you're still with us (and i sincerely hope you are), please forgive this distressing and very un-typical thread. All are welcome here, and we really are a friendly, easy-going bunch by and large. Feel free to keep asking whatever you like. Just accept that people are as they are.
Commander McLane was perhaps a little rude, but to his credit he acknowledged this promptly in an apologetic manner, and that should have been the end of it.
What I don't like is the way people I think of as friends are 'having a go' at each other. We all have our opinions, and these will be expressed from time to time, but when it gets to the point of members openly criticising each other, I think we are in danger of losing the bond that holds us together.
So can I please just urge everyone to back off a bit, and get back to this being the Friendliest Board.....
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
User avatar
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 8501
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Newbury, UK
Contact:

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@COTB - you said "just sits by and does nothing" - thus implying that I condoned Commander McLane's posting. Which I don't. That's why I felt it necessary to justify my RL(tm) absence.

20 hours after the event I rejoined the forum, by which time I felt that I could add nothing to the general sentiment and apologies already made.

There are quite a few members of the board who have titles - some of them are earned or given or just completely pointless - Myself, Commander McLane and several others are specifically Spam Assassins, tasked (because we want to be) with keeping the board spam free, we are not bastions of social justice, simply humans and therefore fallible. I don't know why Commander McLane made the posting he did. Feel free to ask him.

The board has several Moderators none who have (yet) stepped into this. They won't need to (I hope).

And, having been on this forum for over 5 years I see none of the ramifications you suggest, not even during the great Sung Textures war of 2006.

In a few weeks this thread will fall of page one and into the mists of time and this matter will be forgotten by all except those who don't want to forget about it.

Commander McLane is a great member of this board, a great help to many a newcomer over the years, and a fantastic contributor to Oolite in general. He does occasionally also get very wound up by members who do not read the documentation that has been provided. That doesn't justify his post, but it goes some way to explain it.

Hopefully now, Commander McLane and ICON can kiss and make up and the gentle ripple this small stone has created will disperse into the great lake of creativity that is Oolite and this forum.

I'm now going off for a couple of hours to eat my tea and play with my children.

EDIT: I have seen Smivs post and agree with the sentiment - and this is the end of the matter for me - but I felt I had to defend myself.
Selezen wrote:Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
User avatar
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DH and Smivs, I agree 99% with your last posts.

I would be the first to acknowledge Commander McLane's great technical prowess(see my last oxp's readme) and his many great accomplishments over the years.

What concerns me is that a person can cut someone down and then just say " yeah I am sorry fo bein' blunt" and this is tolerated to an extent that a newbie such as myself has to point it out cause everyone is so used to it. If I just started posting "EXPLETIVE" and then posted "just kidding" on a frequent basis I would be guillotined tomorrow. This has to change as it will affect the view everyone has of this board. People remember only the one bad thing you've done and not the 100 great things. This directly applies to the board itself.

I am dropping this and will not post again here on this.

I would like for all of us to just think about this. And how it can apply to our future comments(especially mine) when we are posting. This has to be a fun place free of intimidation and derision if it hopes to function to its' full potential.

A word of advice that is often heard. "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all." I'm going to take this to heart and so should all of you.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.


CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
User avatar
Gimi
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Posts: 2073
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:02 pm
Location: Norway

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by Gimi »

I'm going to give one comment, not directed at anyone, but something that needs to be considered in general terms. There are quite a few people on this board who are not native English speakers. In fact, they are from different countries with different cultures. How you express yourself, and how you apologise, and what is perceived as polite and what is perceived as rude differs.

I'm Norwegian, Brits tend to find Norwegians a little rude in the way they express themselves. This is not because we are, or because we intend to be. It's because we transfer our way of expressing ourselves in our native language to the way we express ourselves in English. That can come across as somewhat rude in many cases.
This is not an excuse, but I ask that everyone take such differences into consideration when and if they choose to remind people that their choice of words may be inappropriate.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
User avatar
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm
Location: Help! I'm stranded down here on Earth!

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by SandJ »

Gimi wrote:I'm Norwegian, Brits tend to find Norwegians a little rude in the way they express themselves. This is not because we are, or because we intend to be. It's because we transfer our way of expressing ourselves in our native language to the way we express ourselves in English. That can come across as somewhat rude in many cases.
Then maybe it's a Viking thing. The Tykes (people from Yorkshire) are just the same: "You're fat and ugly. I'm not being rude, I just speak as I find." My mother was one of those. I didn't believe it when she said it, either. If you know your manner upsets others, stop doing it.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
User avatar
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:59 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: HUD Problem!Hope you can Help

Post by Lone_Wolf »

SandJ and others :
cultural differences mean that the same thing can mean different things to different people.

Example :
In India burping / farting after a meal means you are showing your appreciation for the cook.

In most of the western countries that same act would be considered rude / unwanted behaviour.
OS : Arch Linux 64-bit - rolling release

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at lone_wolf@klaas-de-kat.nl
Post Reply